MANUFACTURER: McCoy Surfboards, Brookvale, Sydney NSW
DESIGN: Twin fin I
DESIGNER: : Mike Eaton / Rolf Arness / Corky Carroll / David Nuuihwa, all USA
Foam blank with 1/8'' plywood stringer, Volan glassed with 1'' rail lap and rounded tail/deck patch, fin patches. Post production plastic conjute sail base?
Nose: semi pin
Tail: chamfered rounded square tail
Deck: S deck, thickness at rear third
Rails: 50/50 in nose, soft low in centre, hard at pod
Rocker: flat with nose lift
Dimensions and photographs at Surf's Up At Gerringong Board Display, August 2005.
Thanks to Scott Andrews
A Brief History of the Twin Fin
Twin Fin 1
The US design (Corky Carroll, Mike Eaton , Rolf Aurness and David Nuuhiwa) was directly imported by Tom Hoyle to Bennett Surfboards, Brookvale in late 1970.
Concurrently, Terry Fitzgerald and Greg Hodges "built two five-sixes" from design details culled from negotiations between Shane Surfboards and Corky Carroll, post Johanna World Contest, 1970 (M.3).
The design quickly dominated 50% of the Sydney market, notably by McCoy Surfboards.
Usually sub 6 ft x 20" with 10" diamond pod. Glue line stringer.
Fin size, shape and placement varied.
Mark Warren and McCoy Twin Fin 1, 1971.
Photograph : Uncredited
Originally printed in Tracks magazine, 1971.
Nat's History, page ?
1.Nat's History 0f Surfing page 106.
1. Tracks Magazine Number 2 Summer 1970?
Twin fin articles featuring Tom Hoye at Bennett Surfboards and Terry Fitgerald at Shane Surfboards. Photographs from these articles reproduced in Nat Young's History of Surfing, page 106. See 1 above. Inexplicably these articles did not appear in The Best of Tracks (Volume 1) design section.
2. Mick Mock : "The Summer Millionaire (Shane Steadman)"
in Deep magazine, Vol 4 #4 Winter 1999 pages 50 - 61
- includes photographs
3. Phil Jarrett : "The Sultan of Speed" (Retrospective 1960 - 1999)
in The Australian Surfers Journal Vol 1 # 2 Autumn 1999 page 28 - 45.
Twin fin I page 42
4. Surfing World Magazine Vol 14 # 6
- cover shot of Terry Fitzgerald (Shane Surfboards), Mark Warren (McCoy Surfboards) and tails/fins.
1. John Severson : Pacific Vibrations USA 1971
- footage of Corky Carroll, Twin fin I/Hobie Surfboards
2. Bob Evans : Family Free 1971
- Col Smith and Mark Warren ride Twin fin I/McCoy Surfboards
Fins and Chamfered pod in cross section